Friday, April 30, 2010

Busy bee or copy cat.

It was probably one of the stupidest things I've ever done in my entire life.

An entire semester's work. To be crammed in less than 24 hours time.

If I don't make it, tell my family I love them very much.... is what I would say if I could actually die from all the last minute work.

But no, it's not possible.

Surprisingly I did think of jumping out of my 4th floor room window so that I wouldn't have to deal with the all the work.

But then I wouldn't be able to graduate. That's no fun.

And oh, also, I would die. LoL.

One thing about people that like to work last minute, we have a very high tolerance level of stress.

But I'd be lying if said the stress didn't get to me.

At one point, my roommate and I were awfully quite, without even the slightest whisper (except for the occasional swear words.)

Suddenly, I would break out into a song that suddenly popped into my head. Out loud. So what if its 4 am?

What first started out as a normal song, quickly turned into nonsense and we'd then both laugh out loud. Even if you were there you probably wouldn't get it, so not expecting you to get it now.

But that's how I particularly deal with stress. I sing. I laugh. I make other people laugh. Most of the time the stuff I spout out is pure nonsense, but when you're not exactly mentally stable from lack of sleep and all, anything other than mechanical design of your equipment seems funny.

Oh, I just remembered one guy did drop by, then left in quite a hurry because we weren't exactly talking to him, and not exactly talking to each other, more likely to the walls and to our laptops, so maybe that freaked him out a bit.

But at the very last hour before submission, things got very serious. Very tense. No funny business. Curse words were thrown out. Names of weird-nosed animals were shouted. Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V were the most typed keys on the keyboard by this time.

At one point, I thought to myself, What would happen if my examiner found out I was plagiarizing? Would I have to repeat this semester due to this one bloody subject? But if I calculated everything myself, I won't finish this thing even if they gave me another day, let alone another hour. That doesn't even take into consideration how long it would take to print out an 80 page report.

Crap. Crap. Crap.

What should I do?!

I froze.

That one minute felt like an eternity. That one minute could have been used to type roughly 70 words, according to my average type speed.

No more thinking.

Ctrl+C. Ctrl+V.

What if I failed?

Ctrl+C. Ctrl+V.

What if I am caught plagirizing?

Ctrl+C. Ctrl+V.

What if my parents are informed of my plagirizing?

Where on Earth will I be able to show my face then?

Sure people have been suspended before, extended a few semesters, sooner or later they still graduate, but the shame, the embarassment. Not just to me, but to my family..

I stopped.

Sure, by this time every single Chem Eng student would either be submitting their report or copying the hell out of the ones that are done, but what if out of all those people, I was the one caught?

Paraphrase.

Its not called plagiarizing if you copy only certain parts, and do certain parts on your own.

Best solution considering the options, I hear my brain say to me.

So be it.

4.15 pm. 45 minutes to submission.

Some things I did on my own, calculated properly. But only some. In my defense, my part is definitely flawed. Not enough information was available for me to do it properly to begin with, but with time I could've conjured up a set of data that would seem logical and real.

If only I could conjure up the time.

To hell with all that.

4.20 p.m. 40 minutes before submission.

Done. Not really, so many things could expose me for the cheat I was, but what the hell. If I continued, I wouldn't have enough time to print out the damn report, and what good would that be.

Time to print.

*ping*

Who in the hell would want to die by PM-ing me right now?

"yo. report anta 27 ke?"

" ?  xfaham? "

"Tadi K cal Dr F. Die kata 27. Group aq anta esk "

"betul ke ni. jangan tipu"

without waiting for a reply, I ran to this fella's room.

Yes, the rumours are to be believed. God has intervened and saved most of the final sem Chemical Engineering students from certain academic death that day. I'm pretty sure most of us will remember this cursed yet blessed day until the day we, like really, die.

How unbelievable. It truly felt like a miracle to me at that time. Really, what are the odds of something like this happening? Actually it did happen before, the FYP progress report submission date was postponed, but it was informed early in the morning, not 40 minutes before submission time. And at that time I was fully prepared. My report was already done. So it didn't really affect me that much.

But this, oh my God. I am so so so very relieved and grateful. If I could actually cry from stuff like this, I would have, but I can't, so I just made sobbing sounds. Which sounded weird. LOL.

Now that this stupid thing's been postponed, time to study for my OM test. Couldn't have studied for the test before, had to finish this stupid thing.

But here's the kicker - OM test, today, 6 pm.

LOL.

till next time. peace.

p.s : true event, happened last week. report was successfully submitted on tuesday, final presentation done just a few hours ago. FYDP settled. one subject down, 4 more subjects to complete before I graduate. and for the OM test? I think I did okay... haha. results aren't out yet though. oh well.

1 comment:

Me said...

this is one helluva long post. haha.