Saturday, January 7, 2012

Arrogance.

Every time I try to write about something, half way, I feel like its something stupid to write about and stop.

But whenever I do really write something, it often does come out sounding stupid.

Its silly, how I find the need to sound smart.

I feel bad if I feel stupid or look stupid.

Is that something normal?

Why do I have the need to be smart or clever?

When in fact, the wisest of people know that "all I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates).

Is it wrong to be stupid? Perhaps we dislike the feeling of being looked down upon.

Some people find it very hard to be humble, myself included.

I constantly remind myself that I have nothing to be arrogant about, save my foolishness.

So far its working.

A senior engineer at my workplace says that his New Year's ambition is to be the same, to maintain being friendly and not be arrogant.

He is a very nice guy, despite his vast experience he is very friendly, even with graduate engineers like me.

Some people on the other hand, have arrogance written all over their faces.

Do these people not know that people can sense their condescending tone / look ?

I once had a chat with a chap about 5 years older than me, and he was asking me about my study background, my work.

So I told him I was working for an oil and gas consultancy company.

I detected the hint of condescension when he says he's never heard of the company. But I ignored.

I then tell him what sort of work I do.

He actually has the balls to ask me whether this is actually related to what I studied.

"Ada related ke? Because saya dulu pun belajar chemical engineering jugak."

Granted, the current type of work I'm doing isn't pure Chemical Engineering stuff, but to actually ask whether my work has any relation to Chemical Engineering is like asking a surgeon if his job is at all related to medicine.

Then he goes on to mention new technologies in the field of safety (fyi, my field) like the non-static boots or something, and that I should consider this when doing my work.

Its like telling David Beckham what kind of ball he should use on the field.

Again, granted, I'm no David Beckham, but he hasn't got a clue what I do, and he's trying to show he knows stuff.

Ugh. Obnoxious wanker.

In the beginning I wasn't even talking to him, I was talking to someone else, and he suddenly comes in and bombards me with all these questions.

As if I was at his house, asking his permission to marry his daughter.

Luckily shortly after that he had to leave.

Please tell me if I'm ever like that. Thanks.

Peace.

1 comment:

Echad said...

Leave out the detail and tell only what on the surface :)