Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Set-Up part 2

Its already Sunday.

Late that morning, I woke up, worried.

Worried I had overslept.

The night before, I hadn't had proper sleep.

Well, actually the morning before.

I slept after Subuh.

Guests that came for the reunion / tahlil arwah only left minutes before Subuh.

I stayed up (for the most part), to keep my father company.

The girl was nearby, but not yet at my house.

She was lured to my neighbourhood under the pretense that her parents wanted to clean up their piece of land here.

Which is the empty piece of land next to my house.

(I know right, tak susah nak pikir balik kampung siapa.)

I woke up, finding that my mother had already begun sneaking a peek at her potential daughter-in-law, from my grandmother's room.

I didn't see why I should miss out on all the fun.

With the sleep still in my eyes, I couldn't really make out what she looked like.

Or if it was actually her I was looking at.

I may have accidentally checked-out her mother.

Before long, they came to our house.

This was when I started getting nervous. Again.

The fact that I still had not bathed might have had something to do with it.

My mother, upon seeing how 'unpresentable' her son was, told me to quickly wash up a bit.

No one looks good after only 4 hours of morning sleep.

I was nowhere near my regular good-looks.

Double the nervousness.

Me and my brother started practicing our stress-relieving exercise.

Jump up and down for no reason.

It did little to help.

"I wish you hadn't told me about this", I told my mother.

"Dah2, siap2, pergi tunjuk muka sikit, tangkap gambar benda yang ayah suruh tangkap semalam tu", replied my mother.

Deep breaths.

Fuh. Fuh. Fuh.

"Abang, salam dengan kawan mak dekat ofis, Pakcik Aragorn", said my mother.

It was then I saw her.

And she saw me.

It was only a split-second that I looked her way, nervous as I was, but it was enough.

She was wearing a very labuh pink tudung.

Very fair skin. Almost glowing even.

Her face was bujur sireh, as the Malays would say it.

The eyes were not the regular dark brown, what colour, I could not say.

Radiating a sense of warmth, she did not seem at all nervous.

I liked what I saw. XP

Passing in front of her, I went to shake hands with her father.

I refrained myself from kissing his hands, to avoid being seen as overeager.

I quickly retreated to the kitchen, and eavesdropped on their conversations.

It was while eavesdropping that I discovered a horrible truth.

*Imaginary forehead smack

I was checking out her older sister.

Apparently sitting on that sofa, in between the older sister and the mother, (whom I saw both), was the actual intended (whom was under an invisibility cloak).

Epic fail.

Oh well, at least no one knew.

(Note to self : delete blog tomorrow.)

So they went on and chatted and chatted, while I chatted with my brother in the kitchen about unrelated stuff.

When they were about to leave, my father called me to do something, but it was mainly to force me to show my face again.

Eyes fixed on the proper location this time (and hopefully on the correct person), I saw her.

She was not looking at me.

She was wearing a black tudung, labuh, similar size to her sister's.

She seemed distant. Perhaps shy, or afraid, or unhappy.

I didn't really get a good vibe.

It was after they had left that I told my parents she seemed disinterested to me.

I also remarked that her sister seemed happy to see me.

My father then explained that the elder sister had already came to the house a few times with the parents.

So if she seemed more relaxed, it was probably due to familiarity.

And that's about it actually.

My father did not force me into anything, he said it was still up to me.

I was told that if I wanted to get to know her better, I could only do it through Facebook.

She comes from a very religiously strict family.

Despite contradicting with my own ways, I still have to respect their way of doing things.

I added her on Facebook a few hours ago. So far no response.

From what I can decipher, my father doesn't necessarily want me to marry this particular girl, however, it would not be an exaggeration to say that even my father wants to see me get married soon.

I think this is his way of saying "Get off your bum and find me a daughter-in-law".

Well....

Challenge. Accepted.

Peace.

2 comments:

Breathing.In.Luxembourg said...

Two things:

1.Great way of telling a story!
2. Ooii, you are only like what, 23? Do you have enough money to support a family??? Heh heh. Be like the Arabs, get the money first, then the girl ;) unless the girl happens to pass by you in life first... Just my two cents!

baby beaver said...

ehehehe... n ur cousin is here....ehehehehe.... ehehehe... muahahahaha.... thanks noen... :P